Thursday, October 27, 2016

El Salvador Day 7 - 2016

God Provides.
One of the greatest challenges that a missionary faces is not letting anything get in the the way of our mission to love people exactly as they are, and help them.  Like any job, we can be distracted by the few that are not grateful, instead of focusing on those who are very grateful.  Just one person who expresses heartfelt gratitude could sustain me very easily for  long time. We serve here with no expectations of gratitude at all, but it certainly feels good when people do tell us they appreciate us.

To maintain a positive mindset I pray constantly believing that God will provide everything. As I grow weary I pray for strength to endure through this last very hot full day of clinic.  As we run low on certain eyeglass strengths, God provides the right eyes.  We counsel everyone on eye care wishing they will take our advice.

We don't know much about the struggles that the people face here, but I am sure they are considerable.  I can see it in their eyes, literally.  The is a disease of the eye here  called pterygia which is likely caused by UV light exposure and dust, something in abundant supply here in El Salvador.  We give sunglasses to people to help reduce the incidence and growth of pterygia.  The glasses we have this year are predominantly women's styles.  I begin to believe that this must be a fortunate accident.  As I go through our long line checking for cataracts and pterygia, about 75% of the cases are with women, many who are street vendors, selling pupusas.  God always provides on mission.

Here is the view of our eyeglass room before our first patient.

I help a deaf mute to get glasses, and smile that we were able through sign language and her mom to communicate.  God provides. 

We are blessed with extraordinary help today.  Here is our morning team.
God provides 

We have a God provides moment when some donated distance glasses are able to help a young girl see perfectly when our adjustable glasses won't help.

Throughout the day I stop to give out shoes, which are greatly appreciated.  This appreciation consoles me I feel like I am too tired to continue.  God provides.

And at the end of our day we are so surprised to learn we have helped a new mission record amount of people: 284. Our 5 day total is 994.  God provides wow.

Here is our afternoon rock star team!


Dear Lord why do I ever doubt you?  You provide what we need before we ask for it. You know us so well.  Lord we believe, help our unbelief. Help us to know that no matter what, your love never fails. Amen


1 comment:

  1. Psalm 68:10b - in your goodness, O God, you provided for the needy. Thanks for being God's hands and feet in El Salvador!

    ReplyDelete