Monday, October 24, 2016

El Salvador Day 4 - 2016

If you get confused, just remember that above all other laws is the law of love!  

We have a long drive to reach our clinic location in the town of Apopa.  We are behind schedule, but I enjoy taking in the scenery.  I notice a young boy of about 9 or 10 years old, completely alone in a busy intersection selling beans.  I wonder what his story is, and why he is not in school on this Monday. 

We arrive to the clinic to applause from the people, and we are filled with gratitude.

We setup for the day, and quickly focus on the needs of the people.  A man randomly approaches me and speaks rapid Spanish way beyond my comprehension.  When I ask for help from an interpreter he tells me that he is going with me to the U.S.  I think he is serious, but perhaps not.  I take his picture so I will recognize him at the airport.

I am able to help a man with distance glasses and he is overjoyed.

At times I can literally sense gratitude when i help someone.


We get very busy and some people we serve are very particular about their frame choices.  Later I laugh, "an inside joke with myself" about why this tries my patience: I hear my wife saying how particular I am!!  God has such a sense of humor!  Some things may try our patience. They do require a calm and peace beyond ourselves.  We cannot lose sight of our goal of serving others as Christ would.  Patience.  We have a huge chance to influence by our actions always, but especially now when those who we serve are watching carefully how we behave. Our kindness and demeanor are under a microscope. In the hurry of our very hot day, I need to slow down, breathe, remember the law of love, and also recall that everyone I meet is just being themselves.  For those who know me well: I need to just take my own advice.

One of the greatest joys here is the children!  We setup to give shoes to the kids and they are so excited.

Late in the day we use our phones for light as we finish the last few glasses. 

I am heartened when I most need it.  My coworkers inspire me when  I'm tired.  And we all do this throughout the day, whether it is sharing candy or doing small favors.  And when we exhale as we get on the bus I see an awesome example of how we take care of one another.

Dear Lord we can't do your work alone or with the wrong mindset. Lord we need your love and everyone on mission to be successful.  Hold us together with your love as we do your work.  Free us from any distractions that remove us from the law of love so we can totally give ourselves to this amazing cause.

1 comment:

  1. Galatians 6:9-10 - And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. Love you brother!

    ReplyDelete