Saturday, October 22, 2016

El Salvador Day 2 -2016

 As we begin our day, our reflection is on ourselves first: we must be prepared before we can give.  We attend a commissioning mass with beautiful music provided by a local group that is so heartwarming.  As we listen, we are struck by the beauty of the Salvadorian people.



After a lunch provided by our host families, who are so generous with their time and love, we travel to a children's hospital for bedside visits and prayers.  We bring care packages of food for the families, and toys for the children, but the main purpose is about expressing God's love to all.


Our first bedside visit is to a boy of about 8 and his father. Last year when visiting I did not want to know any details about the children's illness.  We are on an oncology floor. 

We are successful in making the boy laugh with our funny face contest.  After leaving the boy, I learn that his cancer has a 95% remission rate after one course of treatment in the U.S.  He has been treated 3 times already.  It makes me realize how blessed we are and I feel a bit guilty about not seeing our blessings for what they are.


One baby is severely jaundiced and needs a liver transplant, something that will cost about $130K, an impossible amount.  Still we pray for a miracle with all we have.

One dad after praying with us stood up and gave me a huge hug.  It was so awesome!  

We meet a beautiful young girl who has low platelets.  We offer her some angel wings we have brought with us.  She sits up in her bed quickly with all smiles and puts them on.  We take a group picture.  Later upon examination of the picture we get a beautiful wink.  She was given a halo in the picture! 

As we depart, our hearts are heavy as we process the appearance of hopelessness of some of the situations we saw today.

How I wish I could make them all well!  How I wish I could calm all the parents.  How I wish my love was strong enough to make everything better.   But your love is strong enough Lord, and we are begging you to flood them with your grace.  That will be enough.
You are their hope, you are my hope.  Come lord come. 

As we reflect together Fr John reminds us that miracles do happen; not every day though.  What does happen every day is a miracle in the hearts of those who surround a loved one.


No comments:

Post a Comment