Thursday, October 31, 2013

El Salvador - Day 7 - 2013

We had an amazing day today, but also full of trials that would tests anyone's patience.  Although my angel in disguise translator could not be with me, it was an opportunity for me to witness to some of the other local translators and work with them.  They did very well and I am so very thankful.  Today was our last full day of the clinic.  The time has flown by.  I look up and it is 1:00 pm, and I look up again and it is 6:00 pm.  We will have a half day tomorrow, and then we are headed for some scheduled downtime.  I am proud of my spanish speaking skills even if they make people laugh.  It was very hot again today.  We saw 138 and had several with cataracts that we could not help.  That was a difficult conversation to have.  One woman who lives alone was crying, and I tried my best to comfort her.  She was scared to have cataract surgery because she knew people who had poor results.  She has no children to help her.  In the end, we had only a hug, comforting words, and a promise to pray for her, that I will do my best to honor.

We brought a yellow ball with us from home, hoping it would find some good use.  Looks like the ball will be well used.




One insight today was interesting to me.  We had line cutters galore today and it took a while for me to process why this practice is common here.  I believe that desperate people will do things like line cutting and justify their actions by their conditions.  They are in survival mode.  Because they have so little, they are fighting to stay alive.

Our adoration chapel here is so very beautiful.  a picture of the Divine Mercy mosaic from the chapel is below. Jesus I trust in you!





No comments:

Post a Comment