Friday, October 30, 2015

El Salvador Day 8 - 2015

Divine Providence.  We've witnessed it over and over this week. Earlier in the week during our hospital visits, our priest by happenstance alone gave a very elderly priest Fr. Mario anointing of the sick.  Fr. Mario passed away the next day. One day in Ciudad Delgado we had a Korean man in a wheelchair who spoke no Spanish come to get glasses.  We saw some signs of high blood pressure, and other issues and knew he'd made it past triage somehow with the glasses only option.  But again through divine providence we had a doctor with with us who spoke Korean, and we were able to communicate and help him.  His wife of 11 years spoke no Korean!  And even my area of glasses, when we ran out of certain strengths, the people who God sent us needed exactly what we had.  We dispensed over 500 glasses during the week yet only had one used pair left. Amazing.  But not amazing with God!

What I believe we were witnessing is the benefit of many, many prayers for this mission.  We've felt like we were in the "flow" but it's just the benefit of God's grace from the prayers.

With only a half day in a new location today will be interesting. We are running late but we get setup quickly.  We are giving shoes, some reading glasses, sunglasses, religious items, food and baby clothes.  We call it Mission Mall.  



I make rosaries.  I carry them with me until I get a nudge to give it to someone.  I had not received  a nudge for one of my rosaries and I had forgotten about it.  Then a woman tells us that she has a great devotion to our Blessed Mother.  Nudge nudge.



We are looking for new moms in particular so we can honor them.  We find a mom who has a one month old baby  and we give her some of our pink flip flops and a food care package with baby clothes.  



If you've been reading this blog for a while ( years) you know the significance of Angels.  We have once again been blessed by our interpreter Angel, who is my "Salvadorian daughter." What I enjoy about our Angel is how she finds ways for us to be Christ.  She often is that nudge for Christ.  While we make a joke about her future spouse, one thing is certain, our Angel will always be looking for ways to serve.  

One thing that happened today was so beautiful. A young girl of about 7 tells us about her ability to pray and begins to demonstrate.  As she prays out loud, the Holy Spirit gives me a big hug, and I melt. Tears of joy flow,  because of the pure beauty of this young Angel.  And literally she is dressed like an angel.



I think to myself, "Dear Lord, why am I so blessed to be spoken to by you so clearly?  You send Angels to me all the time.  Thank you for affirming our work.  It's a huge gift to me and I am so grateful."

We wrap up our clinic and head to lake Coatepeque for a nice lunch and some swim time.



Later in the hammock I rest in the Holy Spirit with a heart full of praise for what our Lord has accomplished through us this week.  I am grateful for so much:  our entire team who is a constant inspiration to me; our Angels who remind me that God cares so much about little things;  for the reminders this week about what really matters in life, love; for the hope that this mission gives me that we can make a difference if we try; and for the renewal and inspiration of our life's mission that this week has given us.


And we will keep trying because this cause of loving the people of El Salvador is worth it.  Thanks for making this journey with me.  I hope to return next year.  God's will be done.  Amen, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment