Tuesday, October 27, 2015

El Salvador Day 5 - 2015

God always provides, especially on mission.  This morning I learned I would be working without my my very experienced friend, because he was not feeling well.  I had no idea how we would get through the day.  But I had to let go and not worry.  Little did I know what our day would be like.  First think hot.  Now think large crowds and long lines. Add great need.  Mix in a full dose of compassion. Ask for no breaks because of a desire to serve.  So what does this all equal?  

A phenomenal mission day.  We are all about work.  And we know we made a big difference in the lives of 221 people who can see better.  And that is why we are here, to make a difference.

So how did God provide?  He sent an optometrist!  Folks understand, I am a rank amateur when it comes to eyeglasses.  I learned so much today from him.  It was such an incredible opportunity.

So after yesterday, when a man who walks up using a white blind man's cane, I think "whoa Lord what are you going to teach me?" So the optometrist lets me do what I can.  The whole time I am thinking Dear God, what do you want here?  So we try everything.  And after I do my best, and find some glasses that help, the man says:  "I can  now see the very large print, and that is enough for me to read large print books.  Thank You."  We did not make the blind see, but we did help a "blind man" read.

The crowds are growing and we keep working.  We help a man who has his granddaughter with him, and I give her some new shoes.

We keep our heads down working and the lines just don't stop.  I keep thanking the optometrist and the wonderful medical student who is helping me.  I am so grateful that I must have told them 20 times how much I appreciate them.  Sitting in metal chairs all day bent over is a challenge.
To have a moment of fun, I grab a Physical Therapy card from triage and present to our Physical Therapist, telling her I need a massage.  She laughs, but still massages my shoulders.

When the day is done we have broken all previous mission records for glasses, 221 people.  All were grateful.  Here is our team:
Such awesome men ( the other guys) serving Christ by helping the poor.

After two and one half days here at Apopa, we will move to another location tomorrow.  The parish priest gives us certificates of appreciation and a beautiful cake to express their gratitude.


I nod off as the bus drives us home, and it is a good tired.  A God-filled tired.



No comments:

Post a Comment