Tuesday, October 28, 2014

El Salvador Day 5 - 2014

I am convinced that every day we spend here is pre-ordained.  I've learned a great deal about expectations in my life.  A common expression of mine is "an expectation is a pre-meditated resentment."  Last night our Ob/Gyn shared her day.  Everything she planned at the hospital was cancelled.  She explained that she wound up getting to deliver four babies and it was a fabulous day for her.  I am reminded that I need to be open to whatever comes my way on this mission.  It is just not about me or us.  I decide to be a free spirit today and see what comes my way.

I was rewarded for staying flexible.  I understand why flexibility is the most important requirement for a missionary. 

The first experience was the opportunity to take everyone's temperature to speed up triage.  As I take everyone's temperature I gain an appreciation for the people.  I especially love the families with lots of kids.  As we converse with them we have a chance to show God's care and love to them.  Smiles are everywhere and they lift me with an incredible joy.  Some have very high fevers and are likely infected with the Chikungunya virus. Many people  have contracted this virus that is spread by the aedes aegypti mosquito.  Even the local parish priest  and some of our hosts have contracted the disease.  The pain of the virus is debilitating. As I measure one temperature, I cannot imagine what it would be like to sit waiting for hours in the heat with a temperature of 101.7.  Any discomfort with the heat that I experience is trivialized by this man's perseverance.

Later we are able to give a man with Parkinson's a deluxe chair walker.  He is so happy and he takes off walking. 



I spend some time giving stickers, toys, and hair bands to young children.  I feel like Santa.  I give some holy cards out and everyone is happy to have one.

We encounter a woman who has a severe intestinal blockage and we rush her off to the hospital for surgery.  A man has a deformed hand that was likely caused by a fractured wrist that was never treated.  We take him to the hospital to be considered for surgery by one of the orthopedic surgeons on our team.

As we finish the day I work in our pharmacy counting and splitting pills.  I realize how much we are needed.  We fill prescriptions for un-diagnosed diabetes, hypertension, and high blood pressure.  As I prepare the meds I pray for the health of those who will receive them.  Today we made a difference in the lives of about 475 people.  I have attached a picture of our pharmacy.




It was a very blessed day an I am deeply honored to be part of this amazing team.

No comments:

Post a Comment