Thursday, October 30, 2014

El Salvador Day 7 - 2014

Our team is so passionate about our mission.  We are focused and working like a well oiled machine now that we've had so much practice.  We are ready for any challenge...except one: more people than we imagined and a bit of a temporary help shortage.  We keep our heads down and work as efficiently as we can.  And it is so very worth it.  Even as we grow tired, the cause, the mission, keeps us fresh and strong. And just when we begin to feel tired there is always a humorous or uplifting moment.  We recognize these moments as God's grace, helping us.  He always provides, especially on mission.

Early in the day we get our first spiritual hug of the day.  Two young girls come to the eye clinic to receive an eye exam.  Their eyes are both fine, just irritated by the serious pollution, dust and allergies here.  We see a pattern of this in many.  The amount of cooking fires and traffic make our eyes burn a bit in the short time we are here.  We present the girls with some pillow case dresses and they are very appreciative.  They are so adorable it touches our hearts.

Later in the day one of the younger missionaries who has been working with the kids much of the week joins us.  She quickly learns how to help people get the right glasses and she is able to use her limited Spanish skills to successfully help someone.  To celebrate we take her picture with her first client (attached).  There is something about passing on knowledge to others, especially when it is so they can help others.  We have taught her how to fish and that makes me so proud for a moment.

The clinic where our mission is located also has a school and vocational technical school. The community is being taught valuable life skills.  It is super-impressive. We see some of the students in the clinic.  Sister Delores a.k.a. "Sister Grandmother" is one of the most impressive people I've met in my life.  She is 83 and very active and sharp.  She runs the place so well.

We take very short lunch breaks as the line for glasses is out the door.  As the day quickly passes,  our angel looks at me and says "what's wrong?"  Those who know me also know this look.  It is my deep though/concern/worry face. I explain how we've had no lull in patients that would allow us some time to give out shoes to the needy.  Our angel says, I will get help.  She comes back and says "Sister Delores is going to help you."  All I can say is "WOW."  

Sister gets help (after all she runs the whole place).  We setup to give shoes to the needy.  Every single child who receives shoes tells me thank you.  As I take pictures down on one knee, one little girl comes to me, hugs me, says muchas gracias, and gives me a kiss on the cheek.  My heart  melts, and I am overwhelmed with gratitude.  What did I do to deserve such a spiritual boost?   At that moment I feel God's love so powerfully.  Amazing, so amazing.  We give out many shoes and we touch many hearts in a profound way.




We use a new technology (adjustable glasses - adlens.com) to help a  man see.  He will be able to adjust his own glasses as his eyes change.  We are considering this technology for future missions.



As we complete our 174th customer for the day, we celebrate this and take a picture.




When we make it back late, we have a traditional Salvadorian meal of pupusas and stuffed plantains.



It was just an amazing day with so many blessings.  Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment