Friday, October 31, 2014

El Salvador Day 8 - 2014


Defining moments arrive when we realize cannot be the same; our essential nature must shine through and we decide to change with help from God.  I believe these "opportunities" are  our chance to find God's happiness, peace and joy.  But we must decide for Christ everyday.  It is easier to see the opportunities here in El Salvador; the insane noise and distraction of our lives after the mission  inhibits our ability to see them.  They are still there.  It just requires more work to be open to the urgings of the Spirit.  Although we serve others in the mission, the missionaries also receive many spiritual blessings in return; and to whom much has been given, much is expected.  One gift is the eyes to see the world differently.  We are forever altered just by being part of the mission.  As as we finish our mission here, a new mission begins: we know we must share the stories and defining moments.

All of the team here inspires me incredibly and it is not lost how we reflect Christ's light to one another.  The youth working with us have reflected this light all week.  Their entire way of being heartens us that there is hope for the next generation. I recall our home visits, the clinics and the fantastic example the youth gave as they met the people, loving them without reservation. I decide to do my best to be as vulnerable as they were, and love others and encourage without restraint.

I share a belief with Saint John Paul II that every single person we encounter in our lives, we meet for a purpose.  We may never know the reason, but we do get affirmations.  I am convinced that God has spoken through members of the team throughout the whole week.  I decide to keep this belief in the front of my mind with every person I meet, even when I can see God's sense of humor in some of the people he sends to me.

As we ride the bus to the clinic we soak in the local atmosphere one more time.  Although only half a day of clinic time, we helped 73 people see better.  For the week we saw nearly 2400 people, performed 32 surgeries, and delivered 9 babies. The team's generosity takes many forms and provides opportunities to share our faith.  I decide to be more generous to everyone without restraint.


We gave out many shoes to the needy again today.  The overwhelming gratitude of the people is beautiful and strengthens my resolve to be grateful for all I have been given. With gratitude comes happiness.  If we can help others to be grateful for what they have been given, we can increase happiness.  I decide to express my gratitude as much as possible.


We take some scheduled down time in the afternoon to head to the beach.  Several of us swim and body surf in some very large Pacific Ocean waves.  As the sun sets I sip cold coconut water, exhale deeply, kick my feet up, and praise God for the blessings of the week.  



Later we take time to share a meal with our host families, and recognize the contributions of all who made it possible.  Camaraderie and humor have carried us through the week and now we glow with the our memories.  I decide to be more deliberate in praising God for what we accomplish in His name and celebrating His success.

Before I left home I visited my "lugar tranquilo" and prayed for the success of the mission.  As I was leaving mass, I mentioned to the priest that I was leaving on a mission the next morning.  He said:  "I give you my blessing, and also for the angel you will meet along the way."  I wasn't sure exactly what it meant or why he would be blessing an angel.  I now realize that he was referring to our angel in disguise, who was with us all week, making us feel at home, giving us little gifts, and just being an inspiring, beautiful, beautiful person.  Our angel does not always realize what a difference she is making with her bold determination to just love people exactly as they are and to help them.  This angel has grown so much since we last saw her a year ago, and is truly earning her wings. We share in her growth and we are so very proud of her.  I decide to always be looking for angels in disguise and to give them the opportunities they need to earn their wings.


I will continue to pray every day for the families in El Salvador that we met.  I will also pray that I will be able to return next year. Until then, blessings to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment